Pages

Gossamer Veil

Friday, September 7, 2018

The Veil – part 1

The Wedding Veil. A delicate thing that makes one think of words like Gossamer – words I have no clue about the meaning of. Gossamer and Fairy Dust.

When you have a long time to plan a wedding (I don’t mean the years that passed by, I mean the year and a half that I have between my engagement and my wedding) there are many things that change over time.

My dress for example, which I got months back, now has a longer train amongst many other upgrades. Wait, that’s for a later post!

When I started planning my wedding look, my veil played a very small part in it. I had decided to just get some plain white tulle, add a ribbon on the edges, and DIY it. That plan met with an immediate facelift when I found glittery tulle instead of a plan one! Yaay! [Closer to Gossamer in my head – whatever that could mean ;) ]

However, that plan was shooed away in an eye blink when I saw the most gorgeous Cathedral length Veil hanging at a shop in China. The lace work on it’s side was elaborate and so delicate. I had to have it and I got it. It was beautiful.

Only problem though? It was white.

How is that a problem? My dress is Ivory.

I bought the veil anyway, and kept looking it at it occasionally – quite the sad forlorn looks too. Because it looked like I had to go back to my glittery DIY veil again, which didn’t quite hold the same allure anymore. Not next to this ethereal lace edged veil! Oh the white!

This is where Bridesmaids come in handy. I have three amazing bridesmaids. One who’s supportive of all my ideas. One who is skeptical of them and another who is neutral. Both of them are happy with the outcomes (most of the times *wink*)

So the supportive one, bless her soul, mentioned that I could have the Veil Dyed! Voila! I could have my Veil and wear it too *imagine happy piano music in the background*. But will I find someone I would trust with my fairy veil? I did. Me! Haha. I guess you understand where the skeptical one’s skepticism comes from *evil laugh*

I actually hadn’t planned on DIYing this. Not with the gossamer veil. I started with reading blogs to see if anyone else had faced similar problems, and they had (with the internet, you can find someone who’s had a similar problem even if you’re problem is that you sprouted a tail) A few bloggers & fellow DIYers mentioned that Tea Dying a veil is an easy an effective way to dye a Veil. Interesting. Find more about it HERE.

When you Tea Dye your veil, you’re not actually dying it, but effectively staining your veil. It took a lot of courage. And a lot of praying from my skeptical bridesmaid – bless her soul!- who also ensured that I didn’t jump right to the deep end, and tested sample fabrics and tulle first. It surprisingly, amazingly worked! If she’d been there with me, and seen the brown that the veil actually looked like before I rinsed it in cold clear water – she would have probably fainted. I might have too, if the instructions hadn't clearly advised that this might happen, and to not freak out. 😃😂

My Veil is now Ivory, and matches my dress perfectly.👰

Sometimes, when I see the folded veil, it looks a lot darker, with the multiple layers adding shades to it. At those times, I calmly take it out, place it on my head like how it might fall when worn correctly, and it all feels right again. Gossamery – so to say!

The End

For now. My Veil still has some work that has to be done on it. You’ll know about it when we get to it. Hehe.

PS: No pictures are being posted here, as the boy also reads my blogs, and I ain’t taking away his surprise pals!

PPS: gos·sa·mer
ˈɡäsəmər/
noun
  1. a fine, filmy substance consisting of cobwebs spun by small spiders, which is seen especially in autumn.

How do I feel about this? 😑

No comments:

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS