Pages

Husband

Wednesday, September 5, 2018

A Married Man or Male Partner in a marriage.

I am going to be married in less than 4 months! Every time I think about it, I seem to have lesser time. So either I think about it too less, or time is shrinking. (I’ll leave those in the know to eye roll or smirk as they please)

The closer we get to December, the more I find people asking me “What is your Husband-to-be” doing, or something else about him.

I was very comfortable with him as my boyfriend. Then, he was my friend, confident and equal in every right.

Then he became my fiancé. After some initial adjustments, I got used to having a fiancé as well. That’s when he truly became my person. He was still my friend and confidant. However, he also became a person who could take liberties with me, give me advise and vice versa. He also became an integral part of my support system and someone whose opinion was needed, not just mattered.
Now, or soon, he will be my husband.

That sounds so much heavier as a relationship definition though. Even the word “husband” sounds stronger and gusto next to the small lesser lettered “wife”. What does it mean? I wondered. Is it derived from His+Band? Like he wears his wedding band, so hisband, husband?

Obviously, it is not that simple (or silly if you feel that’s more befitting)

If you look at the English meaning of the word, Husband is defined as “A Married Man”. Straightforward enough.

The root words and original meanings are thus:


HA!

That is a catch! Master of the household!

This, in the context that I may not be working for a corporate or generating my own source of income after I’m married (at least for a while) – it gets much more pertinent, doesn’t it? That was giving me that niggling feeling in the back of my neck.

If I’m going to be dependent on anyone, I know that I would much rather it be him than anyone else.

It’s funny.

I am looking forward to being married. Very excited about being married to him.

However, I am not looking forward to having a master of my household. No, the feminist in me abhors that. I am also, most definitely not looking forward to my professional identity expiring as my personal identity takes such a drastic change.

Will he take care of me? Without a doubt.

Will he master me? Highly doubt it. I don’t think he’ll even want to or bother wanting to.


This is just me reacting to terminologies that are not the most comforting. And what does “wife” mean? Let’s not even go there!

No comments:

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS