Pages

D for DIY

Wednesday, April 4, 2018

I'm a DIY girl.

I love doing everything myself, or at least customizing it to make it more mine.

My DIY passions were certainly handed over to me by my mom. Till I was 3, she stitched almost every dress I wore - and made sure I matched her too. I also remember that my first haircut at a salon was when I was 20 and away at hostel. Till then, my mom cut my hair.

Evidence of my DIY projects can be found all over the house - right from the walls I painted, to the frames I've made. I love DIY because it adds a story to everything :) Also adds a sense of pride and ownership.

Here are some tips for a successful completion of you DIY:


  • You need patience and time. DIY projects almost always require more time than the alternative of buying it off the rack or getting someone to do it for you. So make sure you have enough time to work through the project
  • DIY is often times cheaper, but it could sometimes cost as much as the store equivalent
  • If you feel DIY is for you in the long run, then get some basic supplies - For example, I have a sewing machine which is a great investment (amazing for quick alterations, and for experimenting with different designs. I even made the backdrop for my engagement party myself~ with the help of my friends and fiance of course), Adhesives of different strengths, Sharp Scissors, Cutters, Fabric, Wood, Hacksaw, Screwdriver set, Swiss Army Knife, An Oven, Baking essentials - these are some great basics which always come in handy
  • Tape is your best friend
  • Don't be shy to copy - with the internet now, it's almost like every idea has already been thought off. Do not let that deter you. If you like some project, try it. After a few projects, you'll find yourself naturally customizing and finding your signature style
  • Read up, research. Check resources like Pinterest, youtube, google for tips and ideas for your chosen projects
  • Don't give up halfway through. DIYs sometimes feel like they take much longer - especially when compared to some fast forward videos you might have seen that project as in facebook or youtube. It is slower in real life, but stick it out, and it's worth it. 
     

  • Find projects that work for you. I personally have indefinite patience to weave dreamcatchers, but I don't have the patience to crochet. It depends a lot on where your interests lie. 
  • Don't let opinions of others bog you down. Different people like doing different things. Don't feel compelled to do something just because others are doing it. Also, vice versa, do consider things even if it's not trending at the moment if you have a liking for it!

These are just some suggestions from my journey. Do give it a go! It's great fun!

For those who are interested in what my latest project is? It's my wedding ;) I'm currently working on jazzing up my white dress 👰😀 I finished making my own shoe, and belt. The Veil is next. Other projects currently include - circle skirts, skater dresses, sugar cookies. 

Happy Doing it Yourself! 





2 comments:

gitanjali said...

Wedding shoe can be displayed before wedding a?
:D

Someday's dreamer said...

This is not the final shoe na, so :P

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS